View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crazyrabbit
EcoModding Lurker

Diesel engine braking puzzle

Help I am baffled! I put a domelight switch into the fuel cut-off circuit of my Diesel Rabbit hoping to create a button I could push to increase engine braking by going to zero fuel flow. So far, in the few times I've tried it, when I let go of the button fuel flow did not start again. In each case, the engine immediatly refired with the ignition switch. The fuel cut off solenoid is about 6.2 ohms, and the switch varies from about .3 to 1.0 ohms depending on how you let go of it. If you just ease it off the resistance is higher, than if you let go quickly. I used about 12 feet of 14Ga. 19 strand wire. The circuit diagram just shows the solenoid on a staright track from circuit 15 to ground. Is circuit 15 on a current limiting resister that is bypassed while cranking? Can anybody help me with this? I am convinced I can boost my mileage if I can get this to work. The car runs down a level road at 27 mph at the idle fuel flow, so I don't get much engine braking and the brakes get worked more than they should have to. You can turn off the igition to coast but when you turn the ignition back on the poor glow plug timer gets turned on so that's not a good way to go.