View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wayneburg
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
Leaners are keen, but our lad here wants a sociable. BTW, Wayneburg, do you have a co-driver in mind?
One trade-off is that if you stick with a tadpole, I'd be willing to have a go at designing a frame, suspension, and steering linkage for you in bamboo+epoxy+'glass.
Another caveat I have reluctantly adopted is that if one is planning to go quickly in a light, streamlined vehicle, all the dense bits belong in the nose, for directional stability in crosswinds. Craig Vetter is improving his ride by bolting lead in the nose, but there are better ways to deal with weight, given a clean sheet of paper. Trikes are less sensitive to crosswinds than bikes, of course, but the idea is to cross a patch of black ice in a strong crosswind, and move over without rotation. It reduces what AJ Foyt called the "pucker factor."

After doing a bit of research and comments from members here, I am now going with the tadpole configuration. The reason is my co-driver, which will be my wife. I will take all precautions to ensure her safety, so if that means changing the wheel configuration, then so be it.

Bicycle Bob, as for your offer to design a frame, suspension, and steering linkage, I would be much obliged to accept your offer. Just tell me what I need to do. Thanks!