View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duende View Post
I had to look up "adiabatic" in the dictionary. No match found. I see what you mean by "soaking" the metal by way of the intake charge. Don't worry about losing precious heat with cooler air because the combustion chamber will inevitably heat up. Pressure in the engine bay will keep hot air around the motor, too. You're telling me that an already warm engine will be a more ideal environment for combustion than a cooler one. Sucks for my MPGs, it's cold outside! That explains why this demographic has such a high demand for engine block heaters. I thought it was compression or spark plug location that affected thermal-effeciency. (The term you clarified, but didn't specify.) Swapping in a CAI/SRI also reduces mechanical effort along with more HP. There's no use in keeping the intake system hot. The coolant is in charge of keeping the head at the temperature it needs to be, not the outside air.

Not trying to be a smart-ass, but I'd like to see a link to one of those studies.

I think I spelled it incorrectly - here's an explanation:

define:adiabatic - Google Search

I used the term somewhat incorrectly - I should have said that a perfectly efficient engine is adiabatic. You'll see why once you read the definitions listed.

I should probably start saving those links as I come across them. Someone here will provide one at some point, I'm sure.