View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankinator View Post
I agree with the other posters and their suggestions with this addition. Could the something else causing less coasting be attributed to the vehicle weight? Your older/other vehicle is surely heavier than the Aveo. Less weight...less inertia...less coasting ability. Something to consider.
Nope, it's not what you expected. My other car is an '89 Mitsu Galant. It weighs approximately the same as the Aveo, although it is a bigger car with a larger engine (2 liter vs. 1.6) and has much better acceleration. Over the past two decades cars have gotten much heavier, which runs contrary to improving FE. I get 20 MPG in city driving in the Galant, and only a scant 2 MPG better in the smaller Aveo.

Quote:
I have also wondered if it would be worth repacking wheel bearings with synthetic grease and "adjusting" the tightness of the spindle nut for better coasting.
I doubt that synthetic grease will improve FE much, but the adjustment of that spindle nut is what I am referring to. If the wheel doesn't turn freely, it may be too tight, and rolling resistance matters.