View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
would you buy an Electric motorcycle kit.

I'm hoping to build an electric motorcycle in the next year or two, my goal is to use off the shelf parts as much as possible and to make multiple parts when it comes to the custom made parts so that I can make a "kit" of sorts, it would basically be the machined parts that are needed then a shopping list for everything else I might try to weld multiple welded parts as well and either offering a battery rack that fits a standard size of battery or letting you weld your own for your own choice of battery, I realize this is going to sound like some lofty goals, but my goal is to have this electric motorcycle design be able to hit highway speeds and cost under $1,500 to build, granted for that price it might only have a 20 mile range, sure you can get a longer range but at a higher price, the speed is more what I'm after as I've ridden enough mopeds that top out at 30-35 that I want something that keeps up with traffic on whatever road you choose to take it on.
I'm hoping to start buying parts for this in the next few weeks and to work on it over the summer, I've worked with electric bicycles enough and have two electric cars that I feel pretty confident in this.
So what I'm wondering is, what kind of market is there for an electric motorcycle kit?

Last edited by Ryland; 02-05-2010 at 03:46 PM..