View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #166 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

I don't see how not wearing a belt would improve the driving experience?

I'm not against safety equipment, as long as it doesn't interfere with driving it's great! I don't feel the need to buy a new car for its improved safety, because I don't feel driving an old car is much of a risk - but it takes no effort to buckle up and it doesn't in any way detract from enjoying the drive, I just can't understand why anyone would choose to not buckle up - but it's your life to risk, people do all sorts of sh i don't understand.

The "safety equipment" I DO have a problem with is anything that interferes with driver control of the vehicle. Anti-stop brakes, "intelligent" drive-by-wire, active yaw control, etc... if the car wants to do the driving it should pay the $#@#$% insurance. .. as long as I'm paying the insurance, I want to make the decisions about my steering, brake and throttle input. It's not about being a control freak, it's about human judgment. The machine can't know what I'm trying to do, or make the decisions I'm making. Maybe I'd rather slam my trunk into an obstacle sideways than hit it head on, for example. If I start making an emergency maneuver that I believe will result in the greatest level of human safety and suddenly the car hijacks my input, that's some bull$% right there. Pay my insurance premiums or let me do the driving, period.
Frank Lee (02-06-2010)