View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazyrabbit
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the caution Fumes

Thanks Fumes but this action certainly does not leave the pump dry. If it did it would have to be reprimed and that is not the case. It does not cut off the supply of fuel to the pump, rather it spills the output pressure. So the load on the pump is vastly reduced and the lubrication situation is improved. But since I am only 99.99% sure of this I will check it out and I appreciate you giving me a caution. I drove to Tucson and back today and was hoping to improve on my 60.6 mpg trip last time, but I guess the replacement of the Gear oil with Pennzoil Synchromesh, removal of the mudflaps, and the addition of the engine braking switch were not enough to make up for the fact that I drove quite a bit faster even though I was drafting semis most of the time. Driveing around Tucson looking at houses for hours didn't help, nor did the fact that I had to run the lights coming back because it was dark. Oh well live and learn, I got 55.2 mpg. Some real time instrumentation would help me avoid some of the problems but I have not figured out how to implement that. I think the injector spill flow returns to the tank so a fuel flow meter would only give an indication, not a true measurement.