View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I realized that I should have added that 5th option to the pole after I hit save.
My ideas on making a kit that is cheaper are based off of using common parts, I thought about using fork lift motors but if I'm going to go through the work of making one I might as well make at least 3 of each part and sell the spares if it all works out, but finding three electric fork lifts at the scrap yard that are all the same would require alot of searching, then I realized that my electric car uses a golf cart motor! those are really cheap used, you can get them new as well and you can get nice high performance golf cart motors if you shell out the money and a motor that can propel an electric car should do fine on a motorcycle, only draw back is those motors are rather long and would stick out the side of the motorcycle unless... shaft drive! currently have three shaft drive motorcycles to look at, thanks to craigslist, ranging in from $100-500 in price, now the motors don't have a support bearing on the shaft end and they have a female spline on the shaft... lucky for me I have a brother that said he can make the splined shafts I need to fit the motor to the motorcycle, said he is also willing to write up a CNC program for me in case I wanted to make a small production of them, so it's going to be a few really odd parts that most people can't make so they can fit a common inexpensive motor to a common inexpensive motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by order99 View Post
I couldn't help but notice that there's not a single "You bet, sign me up!" choice in your poll, it's all variations on "No I won't, and here's why".

Even though I can't afford even $1500 right now I think that's a pretty good price-also, one can always add more batteries. If I had the time and cash i'd probably pot your kit on a scratchbuilt Trike...