View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 02:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Air dam on the front perhaps, but I own a 01 dodge ram crewcab v8 (5.2ltr) it gets the same FE as your van 11 city 15 highway.

I am able to get a little above 18 highway using a scanguage and fiddling with the throttle.

I can also get 20mpg city if I have lots of rolling hills and situations where I can almost coast to a stop. Normally though I can only do about 14 depending on how far I have to go and how cold.

The 5.2 dodge in neutral coasting gets about 20mpg right down to 10mph, so needless to say coast almost to a stop to improve FE. You only need to be moving about 5mph to get above 11mpg in neutral once the motor is warm.

Another thing, GET AN ENGINE HEATER. The 5.2s hate cold weather and use over 2gph of fuel just idling when its cold and the FE crazynes continues a long while after you get going until the motor heats.

Also I've found on my 5.2 that the truck takes off SSLLOOWWly if I just press the accelerator pedal in, if I waver the pedal in and out a small amount rapidly just before I take off in earnest the truck takes off much more firmly and at better FE, another thing if you are accelerating, just accelerate fairly hard the 5.2 gets about the same FE accelerating hard (assuming you did the pedal trick) as it does accelerating slowly.

Good Luck and its best to test with a scanguage