View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #62 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
ground-effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I was just pondering this point earlier today and part of last night... I wonder though, if the ideal really should be 5:1 in ground effect, or if ground effect changes some part of the design?

In other words, if a body of revolution of L/D 2.5:1 were placed in ground effect without being halved, would the 2.5:1 fineness ratio still be most effective, or is that the most effective ratio for an airship-type vehicle?
The research by the PhDs says that a vehicle with L/H= 5,@ zero-ground clearance has the lowest attainable Cd.
In "reflection".this produces a form with L/D= 2.5.This form also just happens to have Mair's 22-degree angle.Coincidence?
This form happens to look like an airship because airships are designed for low drag which is what this form delivers.
Below 250-mph,the 1/2-hemisphere nose is adequate ,with the rest of the body,a long tapering tail.(Teardrop ).
This was the premise of the Rolex-Big Ben template.
A shorter form suffers a Cd increase from profile drag.
A longer form suffers from increased skin friction.
You can clearly see this relationship in Hucho's table for ellipsoids.You can also see it in the table for sections.
There is always a point of minimum Cd where the curves for profile drag and skin friction cross.For 3-dimensional bodies this occurs @ L/D = 2.5.
In FLOW-IMAGES I attempted to provide enough examples of flow separation such that one could just look and see what happens when you go "off template."
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Christ (02-06-2010)