View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Thanks for replying but you misunderstood. I did not encourage anyone to tailgate! (sigh)

Fact is, others WILL tailgate behind you whether you want them to or not. Try to "drive smart" (ie, light foot) and you too might find your efforts hampered by tailgaters. It seems like 9 times out of 10 the person tailgating me is not intentionally drafting just paying more attention to a conversation with someone via the cell phone. Why they don't just pass I do not know. I have developed strategies to discourage them. Slow down, temporarily use hazards, even take the unoccupied passing lane (in which case they invariably resume the speed with which they overtook me and proceed on their merry way).

Regardless of why they fall in behind and stay there, or how exactly you get rid of them, meanwhile they draft you. Knowing the length of your tractor beam could be a useful tool for dealing with tailgaters.

As an engineer and scientist I am hopelessly addicted to data and analysis. I would also point out that history is full of innovators who either ignored or (heaven forbid) dared to challenge conventional thinking. Low and behold some accomplished things their predecessors knew was not possible. Being tolerant of creativity and enthusiasm need not be an annoyance or threat; it could be an opportunity.

Cheers
KB
Thanks KB,now I'm on the proper page.
I've no solution for tailgaters.I refer to them as 'alonaphobes',incapable of being by themselves on the open road.
The fun thing about streamlining is that,if we do our work correctly,there will be no drafting possible,as a following vehicle would feel the full effect of the air behind our vehicles.
As to innovation and creativity,I'm all for that.I'm also for fully exploiting everything that has already been thought up since 1922,but never put on the road.