View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
jazda
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I've heard, but can't verify the truthfulness of the claim, that modern engine control computers won't allow you to damage an engine. They supposedly shut the engine down, rather than allow it to run under too much load.

My SE-R's engine/transmission combo is similar to yours, a 2.5L, 170 hp, 6 speed. I use 6th gear from 40-45 mph upwards, on level ground. I have noticed my cruise control will kick me out when I'm going up steep hills at 50 or 55 mph. IIRC, the engine is still on, and I'm left in 6th gear under minimum load, with speed steadily dropping, forcing a downshift.

1200 rpm is probably too low an engine speed for cruising. Your engine's BSFC graph should point you to where you want to be. Usually, your best efficiency is between about 1500 and 2200 rpm for 2 liter class engines. Rather than cruise at 1200 rpm (30 mph in 6th?), I'd use a lower gear to accelerate past that speed, and coast in neutral or EOC through that 1200 rpm dead spot.

The way I'd handle a 30 mph cruise, I'd pulse from 25 mph to 35 mph in 4th gear (about 1500-2000 rpm), shift to neutral (either NICE or EOC), and glide back to 25. I wouldn't risk lugging the engine in 5th or 6th gear at 30 mph. 4th gear gives you more acceleration ability.

You might find this article interesting for ideas on how to wring best mileage out of your 3.
Oh Okay, thanks for the reply. I hope it`s true your car wont let you damage your engine cause I`ve been doing this for a while, but usually I`m around 1400 and the engine seems pretty comfortable at 1200 unless i try to accelerate which then I`d down shift. and damn what mods do you have on your sentra thats a high mpg