View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
AJI
EcoModding Apprentice

Rallye - '98 Peugeot 106 Rallye
90 day: 36.41 mpg (US)

RX-7 - '94 Mazda RX-7
90 day: 14.05 mpg (US)

NC - '09 Mazda MX-5
Fiat's semi-auto box is actually nothing like VAG's DSG gearbox. The "Dualogic" 'box used in Fiats is a robotised manual, similar to that used in Smarts and BMW's M5 and old M3, and as far as I'm aware it's a development of the gearbox that Ferrari developed for the Fiat group and was used in the "F1" Ferrari road cars, and cars like Alfa Romeo's Selespeeds.

I'd personally recommend against it, given what I've heard.

The trouble with robotised manuals is that they try to be everything for everyone, and end up being great at nothing. They're cheaper than torque converter automatics and rob less power (especially in small cars like the Qubo) but they're not as smooth and don't have a creep feature so still require you to alternate between two pedals in traffic, when a normal auto will just let you cover the brake as it creeps forward.

Compared to a manual, they're expensive (Fiat charge over £700 for theirs which is a lot on a budget car), and they offer slightly less control (and unlike a proper manual, if you're getting rough gearchanges you can't change your technique to smooth things out).

The biggest problem though is unresolved reliability. They're certainly getting better, but I remember Alfa Romeo's Selespeed models having a ridiculous amount of problems and it'd worry me slightly buying a slightly updated version.

Benefits? Well Fiat's version does have an "eco" mode but I'm unaware of how effective it is, and then of course if you do want a good mix of manual and auto, it's one of few choices available so it may be what you end up with.

Nowhere near as good as a proper dual-clutch gearbox though like the VAG ones. Most car magazines reckon that DSGs may well replace conventional manuals over the next ten years. Car mags are usually very elitist about manual gearboxes but in several tests recently they've noted that the DSG in VWs, Audis, Skodas and so on is significantly better than the manual available.

If I were you I'd be looking for a VW diesel in three years that's been fitted with a DSG.