View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #114 (permalink)
bushi
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
Again... That is stupid... You are comparing apples and oranges... Of course a hydraulic transmission beats a mechanical, every day...
But calling that a Hydraulic Hybrid is just stupid... There are no hydralic motors there as far as I can figure... The hydraulic transfer the energy from the engine to the wheel, same as the mechanical parts do on any other car...

Now the hydraulic system is very efficient, but also expensive... If you couple it with a good ICE, you get a highly efficient ICE car... Not a hybrid... If you instead drop in an electric motor, you get an insanely efficient EV, since the electric engine is much more efficient than any ICE engine... Now bear in mind my wording... I'm talking energy in in one end, to the shaft out of the engine, not well-to wheel... well-to-engine out if you will...
hello,

This is my first post here, so hello everyone

I have a question: did any of you, opponents of Hydraulic Series Hybrids, did a homework and actually read the links provided by Old Mechanic? I urge you to do so, before replying, otherwise you just expose your lack of knowledge.

Hydraulic Hybrids might very well not take off at all, despite their superiority over BOTH Electric Hybrids, AND purely ICE-propelled cars, because pendulum already shifted to electric, for many reasons, OT here. But Old Mechanic's points are 100% accurate, as you can read in the links he has provided.

Actually, Hydraulic Hybrids are the only hybrids, that would make environmental/economical sense in the transition time to fully electrics vehicles, and instantly increase the mileage 40% in combined cycles, and over 100% in urban traffic cycles, which has been PROVEN and TESTED - again, revert to Old Mechanic's links.

Please, do yourself and this forum a favor and read these articles. That is interesting reading, and will save us all arguing about FACTS that were proven/tested by a few companies, in both Europe/US, some even commercialized.

That's my 2c
[Hint: the average family sedan needs ~17KW to maintain highway speeds. If you could provide all the juice required to accelerate, say, 0-70 from accumulated compressed gas, than you'll only need an on-board ICE of similiar max power capabilities (say 20KW), and fine-tuned for specific power delivery point only. I would say that 600ccm (~37 cubic inches) displacement, working at it's "sweet spot" all the time will be well enough. Now, how is that in terms of mileage, comparing to the same average family sedan, you think?]

Regards

Last edited by bushi; 02-08-2010 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: some additions