View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #50 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
naturalextraction -

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalextraction View Post
Correct, the key is compression or in this case being compressed, not so much latent temperatures.
Having an homogenous mixture with a faster flame front, under the appropriate controls in and as part of the entire system obviously will typically net higher efficiency Again, as you know from Pgpro's project, that, as in the article linked the in post above, compressing the atmosphere for higher volumetric efficiencies make for larger gains under these principles.
From the article: Once an engine is developed that operates ultra-lean, is turbocharged—or super-charged—and is better able to withstand engine knock, engine downsizing while maintaining performance becomes a credible option that can lead to significant additional fuel economy and performance benefits.
—Beister and Smaling
The Rudy Smaling? Oh yeah, I was tracking that dude's progress for a while. First he did the MIT fuel-plasma-reformer. Then he tried to commercialize it with Arvin-Meritor. Then Arvin-Meritor sold it off and/or it died on the vine. Last I heard, Rudy Smaling was working at the Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC).

Hmmmm, HARC led me to this :

An Experimental Evaluation of NOx Reductions from Hydrogen Enhanced Diesel Combustion - 09/25/2009
http://files.harc.edu/Sites/TERC/NTR...inalReport.pdf

Hmmmm #2, I can't find Smaling at HARC anymore. Here is a 2009 patent filing with his name :

Engine exhaust treatment apparatus and method of - Japanese Patent Office. English Abstracts. (JPO) Patent 2009-101360

Where has he gone now?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society