View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
moonmonkey -

I'm glad you used the truss strap. I always stare at them but I can't figure out where they could "fit" into my mods. In a way, you could argue that you are doing the "EV1" compromise that also didn't extend the skirt all the way down. Here is their explanation :

Short Skirts?
Quote:
Short version would likely be that there was a point of dimishing return on the length.

Everything on that car was an issue of weight (each system team received an allocation of weight in grams), aerodynamics, and cost- with the first two very much taking precedent. Folks are right to speculate that for the skirt to have been longer and follow the body of the car, it would have had to curve in, hitting the wheel itself. So to make it longer, it would have had to curve out, increasing the drag and defeating the purpose. Also, the rear wheels were about 7" closer together than the front wheels, giving yet another curve to deal with. At the end of the day, the EV1 was the most aerodynamic production car ever built, with a drag coefficient of .19- when you get that low, squeezing out any more becomes that much more difficult.

Your friend might be interested in reading a fascinating book about the development of the EV1- it's called "The Car that Could", by Michael Schnayerson.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
moonmonkey (02-09-2010)