View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Well the test results are in. I decided to do an A-B test before I reinstalled my modified air dam. I replaced the tin center section with plastic (old siding) and I shortened the center of the rubber to 2.25" and tapered it down to 3" on the ends.
got some black screws to install the rubber this time and it looks even better than before. Sadly though, It is a failure. I made three two way runs without the air dam. Weather was not ideal but result was consistant. At start of test, temp 14F, S wind 9.4mph, Baro. 100.0kpa and runs were east and west at 70mph. Avg for two way runs was .83 liter and 27.04mpg. Installing the air dam took a little longer than I thought so I only had time for one two way run with it on and I had to turn the lights on. Wind had changed to SSE 11.2mph and baro. 102.4kpa with fog. With the air dam, I used .83 liter and got 26.88mph. Very discouraging, just a waste of ime and money I don't know if it is redundant because of the partial belly pan that I had already or if it didn't help because it doesn't fully clear the tire. Any thoughts?