View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #62 (permalink)
oldbeaver
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Using HHO generator on board on a diesel engine

Hello all,

While some of our Forum members focus their comments on physics theory for denying the possibility of improving performance of a diesel engine based on onboard HHO production and a mix of about 5% of HHO on total fuel used by the engine, I will continue questioning the issue based on practical issues:

I would like to see some of them with math knowledge to make a rigorous test themselves.

The paper cited by Tangomar is the only one systematichal test I have seen. There may be other, but I havenīt seen them. What I have seen are two kinds of opinions, covering 95% of all comments:

1) People claiming from 10% to even 50% and 60% of fuel yield improvement using HHO (onboard).

2) People denying the possibility of any improvement based on only one fact: there will be more expense on electrolysis than fuel improvement. So balance must be negative. Argument: 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

For me none of these opinions are convincing.

I prefer people that make serious tests using the device.

From the devices I have seen in the Internet, very few look efficient to me.

The only serious paper I have seen is the one quoted by Tangoman (Bari & Esmaeil, 2009).

The experiment setup looks well to me, however, not very accurate, due to several facts I named on a past post. Moreover, there are four additional issues the paper do not quote:

1) How they measure the fuel consumed. The setup shows only one fuel meter, while the majority of diesel engines need two of them to an accurate measure, due to the fact that there is a return fuel flow to the fuel tank. So one need to substract that flow from total fuel delivered from the tank.

2) Besides, there is a warming of the fuel that implies volumen expansion, and they didnīt mention any correction on this.

3) More: measuring so tiny flows of fuel is not easy. They mention a Dwyer gas meter for gas input, but they do not mention how they measured fuel flow. I havent seen any Dwyer flow meter capable to measure that.

4) They generated HHO out of board, for practical reasons. But, how accurate is the measure of the energy consumed by the batteries or by any other power supply? This is necessary to make an accurate balance between energy inputs and outputs.

I think a similar experiment is necessary, but with more accuracy.

OldBeaver

Last edited by oldbeaver; 02-09-2010 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: improving