View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
I talked to my father (pretty knowledgeable guy) about reusing the rings, and he was against it because the new rings have a noticeably stronger spring force when compressed than the old ones... according to him this is more important than the gap being spec. I really don't know either way as I'm new to this. I have no way of knowing and weighing the dis/advantages of having a new strong ring vs. an old gapless ring that still has a spec. gap. One thought is that it would be really interesting for one of us to use the old, and one use the new and dyno both of them right after break-in...just a wild possibility.

As for accurately removing .6mm - I'm not daunted. There are a lot of great tools at my parents' house including a metal lathe - I was thinking maybe I could use the metal lathe "backwards" by putting an extra fine grit stone from a dremel into the chuck and mounting a ring firmly where a bit would go, then using the measurement gauge to dig down to half the thickness of a ring. This may be more accurate than filing manually.