View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Another problem with the whole peak oil chicken little story is that even if we run out of oil tomorrow, we have more natural gas in this country than saudi arabia has oil. Pretty much ALL the gasoline powered vehicles in this country could be converted to run on nat gas for less than $2000/each. Nat gas also has some big emissions benefits as well. Check out the Civic GX.
Where are you finding tanks for that price?

I have a CNG Tempo and was looking to double the range, it has a 3.5gge 3600psi tank and I wanted to install a 2nd one, they're like $2k on their own not including the rest of the system under the hood..

Other than that sort of cost, I love CNG. The only two things I worry about with it are user training (filling is a different process, and let's face it there are people who can't figure out how to use a toilet without peeing on the seat - but have drivers' licenses) and at least on my Tempo there's WAY WAY less power available, like i'm talking half the horsepower. May have something wrong with mine though I'm taking it to a CNG mechanic as soon as my tax refund shows up.