View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Nice, thanks for the report. I wish they were coming to Buffalo, but I'm sure they won't.

This car is interesting from a packaging perspective. No exhaust, no gas tank, etc. Are the usual locations of these items full of batteries? What kind of transmission does it have?

Regenerative braking ought to be able to stop you just as quickly as you can accelerate. If that's all on the front wheels, though, I wonder if that creates brake force distribution problems. Eh, probably not.

What kind of mods would make sense for a Leaf? I would want a Level 1 (120VAC) charger permanently installed in the car for sure. I'd also try to find a spot to mount a 15HP gas engine to drive one of the wheels, for road trips.

I guess we won't be talking about the "fuel economy" of the Leaf, but how would you improve the Wh/mi of the Leaf?

A 10yr warranty on the battery is very impressive. I wonder, what depth of discharge does Nissan use? Deeper discharge allows for longer range at the expense of shorter pack life.