View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
diffuser in the dry

Hello all and thanks for all your words.
I pulled the naughty bits out of the bed of the truck this A.M. and had a good look at it in 'daylight' ( that's a joke around here lately).
It actually looks as if she struck a submerged object hidden below water.One leading edge of one of the underside aluminum strakes has a fairly significant dent,indicating a solid hit,and there are deep gouges on the adjacent skin.
The water never came in the door although it was up to just below,which would have had the belly for the most part submerged.A passing 4WD caused a wake large enough to 'rock' the truck on it's springs.
Over 35 1/8th-inch pop-rivets were torn free from the superstructure.
Best I can surmise,is that the impact simply displaced the diffuser rearward,with the sound of the collision shared by the cacophony of shearing rivets, and the 833-times more dense than air water pushing/pulling against the concealed forward vertical face of the valance ( Cd 1.11 ).
She's been on the truck since 2004 and has never been a problem.And the damage looks like something I can resolve with my tree stump, rawhide mallet,and some tinner-man's pliers.
She'll go back on as things dry out and time permits.
At 312,000 miles,the T-100 is just getting broke in now and she'll want that diffuser.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Christ (02-10-2010)