View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
jfitzpat
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Of course, the ScanGauge will also show open/closed loop conditions.
My point was that it is better to directly monitor the ECU's decision, rather than inferring it from the commonly available temps, like ECT, which will not have a fixed value correlation - not that any particular scan tool can or can not get a PID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
And the best solution to the problem of poor cold temp engine efficiency (particularly after a cold soak) is to use a block or coolant heater.
Again, I'd have to disagree a bit. The two primary problems in a 'cold soak' (sorry, I have to put it in quotes because the term, though popular, is a bit of a technical misnomer) are oil viscosity and oil seperation. The later is often forgotten, but unless you are using actic grade oil, which has it's own special concerns, any wax and tar that seperates out doesn't easily mix back in or get cleared.

Block heaters are a decent *preventive measure*, but once an engine has been subjected to protracted cold the steps that can get the engine started are not nec. all the steps you want to take to prevent excessive wear and tear and permanent (at least short of rebuild or factory reman) top efficiency loss.

-jjf