View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 AM   #42 (permalink)
stonebreaker
EcoModding Lurker

No, you like nearly everyone else, is forgetting half of Bernoulli's equation. The drop in pressure perpendicular to the flow, which is the part everyone remembers, is made up by an increase in dynamic pressure - everyone forgets this part. Go back to your wiki article and re-read it. Note that for a given streamline, the actual equation is dynamic pressure + static pressure = a constant. A CONSTANT. So if there is a drop in static pressure, it must be balanced by an increase in dynamic pressure. And it's the dynamic pressure that causes backpressure - if I need to force X amount of gas through a pipe in a given amount of time, I have to force it through using a given pressure (no pressure differential, no flow). If I want to increase the velocity of gas going through the pipe, the only way to do that is to increase the pressure driving it.

You made a mistake about 10 posts back and now you're sticking to it rather than re-examining your premise. This was fun for a while but now you're just being stubborn. I'll talk to you tomorrow - some of us have work.