View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fubeca
EcoModding Lurker

The Truck - '06 Chevrolet Silverado Ext Cab 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)
The cord can't be un-ruined, it is permanent.

There is a very specific ruleset that has to be met for the code to happen. With my driving situation, I don't think I'll meet that criteria ever. If I do, I have a scanguage and another computer that can reset the code. I knew the risks going in

Quote:
Explanation of Rationality Check
The P0116 diagnostic (engine coolant temperature sensor rationality check) can fail if the indicated coolant temperature is too high at engine startup, after an extended time sitting without the engine running.

After a vehicle has been parked for a number of hours, the engine coolant temperature is typically very close to ambient air temperature. This is the definition of a cold start. After startup, OBD regulations require that the PCM look at the rate at which the coolant temperature sensor heats up, from a certain starting point. If the coolant temperature sensor does not heat up according to expectations, a DTC P0116 will set.

More here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...pic=47527&st=0
It has to be sitting for more than 10 hours without a start, and the IAT must meet certain criteria.

I will not be replacing the cord with a new factory cord. If this plug fails, I'll chop it off and put on a new non-thermostatically controlled plug from the hardware store. My local dealer looked and could not find a non-thermostatically controlled cord listed for a 2006 silverado.

My theory on why it was set up this way is that GM didn't want to take the time to engineer a software solution that would recognize that the block heater was on rather than a sensor issue. I'm very frustrated that I have a block heater that is only designed to work below 0*F.

It definitely helped this morning. Now to see how much energy is expended to warm up the engine with the block heater.