View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Beware of "Internet Security 2010" -- worst Trojan EVER!

Hello Folks,

I'm just finishing up reinstalling Windows on a laptop for a client, that was infected by a Trojan malware program, that calls itself "Internet Security 2010" -- PLEASE KEEP YOUR FIREWALL & ANTIVIRUS UP TO DATE!!! Update Windows with all the security updates, as well. Microsoft has a big job ahead of them, fighting this thing...

*This* *is* *the* *worst* *Trojan* *malware* *EVER*!

It installs in the "Safe" mode of Windows.
It prevents you from using System Restore to reverse its installation.
It blocks you from getting to websites that help you fight it.
It blocks you from downloading files, by shutting down the browser.
You cannot install another browser like FireFox.
It blocks your antivirus.
It blocks you from using RegEdit.
It modifies the hard drive so you cannot read the drive in Linux.
It pops up continuously with warnings that your machine is infected (NO KIDDING!) and they want to sell you the "solution". I am *sure* that while it might make the symptoms go away, it would remain infected. You have to pay them to let them continue to use your computer.

If it gets a foothold on you computer, it downloads and installs additional Trojan programs.

Google "Internet Security 2010" and you will see lots of evidence of this huge threat.

It seems to do something even more: when I tried to install WinXP from an installation CD -- the hard drive is not "seen". You would have to buy a new hard drive, and that might not work. I tried putting in another old hard drive, and it was not "seen" either, but it might have other issues... I *was* able to install Linux on that other hard drive -- it was "seen" by Linux. The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that this malware *moves* something required for running Windows from the hard drive controller to the hard drive; thus making it impossible to even use a new hard drive to reinstall Windows.

Have I raised your awareness enough to get you to take steps to prevent your Windows machine from getting this? Please do this -- this is a very, very serious challenge.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/