View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #2971 (permalink)
bigh
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
No the control board will be different. You have to use a different microcontroller that has multiple pwm outputs and programmable dead time. I'm going to use a dsPIC30F4011, which has 40 pins available for whatever. It's going to have CANbus and RS-232 serial interface. I can't wait to test CAN to like 1Mbps. It's important to send messages like "display the letter r" in a femtosecond. hahaha.

Also, it will have 4 isolated dc-dc supplies instead of just 1 like it is now. The high side and low side have to have their own isolated supplies.
Paul - you've probably already been asked this, but i couldn't find it in this thread. Have you considered using futurlec's prebuilt controller boards? it could be advantageous to base it around one, as all of the support electronics are already built onto the board. you'd only have to make an interface to the pins you wanted, onto your own board. I'm not sure how open source their boards are though. But i've got the MEGA32 board and its so easy to use. would you consider having a pic dedicated to just running the motor, and another one that runs all the inputs, maintaining constant communication between the two and again making it more modular?

dsPIC30F4011 Controller

By using a prebuilt board for the controller, it would mean it could be re-used if upgrades to your controller occurred.

Im trying to think if it would be possible once the motor speed sensing is completed to have some behavior like this occur.

I was wondering if there would be a way we could improve the speed of shifting in clutchless setups, ie: Work out a way that the gearbox could report (or heck have what gear the car is in manually set by the driver). if the car is put into neutral and the accelerator is pressed match the motor rpm to the correct gearset rpm for the next gear up to allow easy shifting without a clutch. I haven't worked out what the best way to get the controller to sense it was in a downshift yet - maybe a button or pressing the break or something?