View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Initially this sounded like a great idea, especially if the honda rings are thin enough such that two of the stack up to the thickness of one stock xfi ring. Again, I'm a beginner at this, so I'm not really in a great position to say what would work and what wouldn't, so here's the only thing I could think of that may or may not cause problems when putting two rings into one land as you call them (new term for me): If there is even a teeny gap in the top ring, carbon may build up on the lower ring just below the gap and potentially cause enough buildup to raise that side of the top ring, skewing its formerly level position and causing uneven wear on the cylinder walls. I don't know if this could or would happen, but this could actually be a brilliant inexpensive solution for people trying to find a gapless ring solution to rebuild an XFi motor...That's really what this thread is about - sourcing a cheap gapless solution. When I made the thread, I was thinking totalseal was the only remaining solution. The jury is still out.
I might be inclined to try it as a last resort, but not as the first attempt, for sure.

I'm not sure how well it would work, but I think before expecting any sort of performance, I'd look for a sealant that would work between the two rings and hold them together after they've been installed.

Chances are, it's a moot point, as I'm sure that two of the thinner rings stacked will be too big.