View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
jfitzpat
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Maybe there should be 2 threads: One for people that solder for a living, and this one, which is basically in the open source dc motor controller forum because it's here to help people reliably solder a single thru-hole control board for this motor controller. I know that "How to build a reliable PCB" sounds pretty broad, but it's intended scope really wasn't meant to be the final say on industry solder policy. There have been a couple problems with solder not sticking on this control board, or use of too much solder, crossing the isolation rings, from people that have never soldered in their life (and many happen to live in one of the 49 states where lead solder is allowed).
If you aren't a proficient at the basic skill, leaded vs. unleaded solder is the least of your worries. Or, put it another way, I've been seeing bad solder joints from DIY's for 30+ years. Look at a trouble shooting guide from a 40 year old "Heath Kit" radio, it will list exactly the same problems you describe, decades before anyone even contemplated lead free solder.

On the other hand, if you become proficient at the basic skill, the transition to lead free is a non issue. That's not just opinion, look at companies that sell DIY kits in CA. Initially, there was annecdotal reports that lead free was creating more problems, but when JPL looked at actual customer support data it became clear that it made no difference in measurable results. That is, the CA DIY crowd made bad solder joints at exactly the same rate as before.

Ignoring all those DIY people out of 40 million folks driving one of the largest economies in the world who made the transition with essentially the same 'chaos' as 'y2k' - it matters to the other 49 because we are a global economy. Manufacturers aren't continuing most leaded parts. Look at Digikey. You go to build your small project, and you wind up with lots of lead free components. Suprise surprise, leaded solder doesn't flow well over the tinning on those leads. The parts are made to be soldered with lead free alloys...

Bottom line, I just don't like disinformation. Blanket statement that lead free = unreliable. Uh, no, that doesn't match actual testing and perhaps more to the point, the mission critical components in a new car are largely lead free now.

Worse (to me) '100 years of no problem use'. Try checking WebMD, or even Wikipedia. Before it was understood it was lead, terrible maladies were named for the *professions* that used leaded paints and solders!

The CDC puts a maximum level on lead, but we have no known safe level. That is, every time we lower the limit, further research shows that it is a seriously dangerous neurotoxin. Also, different people have different reactions, even genetically - see the UC Davis MIND Institute's latest studies.

This whole conversation reminds me of the same complaints and excuses I always hear any time anyone suggests a common sense transition for the sake of the environment. I just didn't expect it on a site dedicated to fuel economy. Sure, one way to get better fuel economy is to say to hell with the air and water. I just didn't get the sense that is the sort of folks generally here.

-jjf