View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Some poor guy who has never soldered in his life, making this control board because he wants to cut his vehicle emissions, uses some solder that he buys from Radio Shack. He wants to know good technique so that the solder sticks well, and so that he doesn't use too much, and so that he doesn't overheat his components, and etc.... He's not saying that he cares nothing for the water and air because of the makeup of the solder that he buys at the store for his little project. I went to Radio Shack yesterday, and they only had 60/40 solder with the lead in it. I'll probably end up ordering it on Ebay.

I also went fishing last week with lead weights. I even lost one of the sinkers! hehe. Heck, I even bit it down on it to close it around the fishing line. That probably wasn't a good idea.

This thread is called "building a reliable PCB". Williamson has been in the industry for a long time, and I am interested in his opinions about technique for building a reliable PCB. I want people to reliably solder my control board. Would it be good if the pcbs that was used in the making of their car contains no lead? sure! And the tires are low rolling resistance? yes! and the new car smell doesn't make them sick? ya! um... their brake pads not use asbestos? definitely! I'm serious abouit that last one. I have an old super beetle, and it had bad brakes, and I wasn't thrilled about messing with the asbestos.

I understand that you don't like misinformation, but I doubt Clyde was lying about his experience. Let's keep our tone a little more civil. "that doesn't sound like an engineer, more like a technician." or whatever. Spicy meatball!

OK, lead free is the way to go! Let's talk about technique for making a reliable pcb. ya!