View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
One place where slowing down makes lots of sense is oil tankers in slow economic times. We probably have more tankers than we need right now, and oil inventories are high, so slowing down should cost very little and save a lot.
But we here at EcoModder.com don't really want oil to be cheaper, do we?
I, personally, would like less fuel to be wasted on transporting oil, but I don't want oil to be cheaper, and I don't want Big Oil to make even more money. It's a paradox, I know. Maybe they would give the saved money to charity, or sponsor environmental protection groups? Yeah, right...

EDIT: I found this on Wikipedia:
Quote:
Cunard state that their liner, the RMS Queen Elizabeth 2, travels 49.5 feet per imperial gallon of diesel oil (3.32 m/L or 41.2 ft/US gal), and that it has a passenger capacity of 1777. Thus carrying 1777 passengers we can calculate an effieiency of 16.7 passenger-miles per imperial gallon (16.9 L/100 p·km or 13.9 p·mpg–US). One cubic metre of fuel would push the ship forward by 1.8 nautical miles.
That is for a luxury liner, a freight ship would have different numbers, but how different?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 02-19-2010 at 04:57 AM..