View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #66 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
This is from 6 years and over $30,000 in cash spent to get a single patent.

Approved but still waiting for the actual document.

Two thresholds you must pass to be approved.

"Novelty"

"Not obvious to someone educated in the art"

Basically these two stipulations make it damn near impossible for anyone to obtain a patent on mechanical devices unless they are truly something new and not an obvious evolutionary development of an already existing design.

The second stipulation being somewhat subject to the examiners opinion makes them have a propensity to reject the application as being obvious to someone educated in the art.

Now you have to go through a grueling appeals process that pile up hours of attorney fees and still can result in an ultimate rejection of your patent application.

While I applaud anyone who thinks they have a novel idea driven by inspiration and perspiration the reality is there is very little novelty in most vehicle designs. To succeed you must realize that any similar design dating back to the ancient wheel and axle precedes your idea.

I have been down this road zoltanbod, for the better part of the last decade, so my experience is first hand, which makes it credible as evidence in court. Most people who have been granted patents (talk to one if you know them) will tell you it is one of the most frustrating experiences you will ever deal with.

Automotive engines are not 20% efficient. The real figures are closer to 35% if you run them at best efficiency only. The way cars are operated today is about 15% efficient, but the difference is in the way power is applied to the wheels. The best efficiency for an IC engine is close to 53% today, and much research is being done to get that to 60%and above.

The real efficiency improvement is in the power train and that power train must have the ability to store engine power and apply it to the wheels at extremely high efficiencies, as well as recover the inertial energy of the vehicle when deceleration is required.

Co generation of wasted heat energy is another way of increasing engine efficiency. This is done in large scale power application and even in smaller scale fixed applications, but it tends to be expensive.

Not sure if you know this, but revealing any idea to the public domain without first submitting a provisional patent application destroys any chance of success in a patent application. A provisional application costs $100 (or it did a few years ago) and it gives you a 1 year time period to file a complete application, so anything disclosed here can never be patented. You are required by law to disclose any relevant information that would void your patent application. That's right. the law requires you to prove to the PO that your idea is actually not novel, or obvious.

It's not my objective to destroy your dream, but you should be aware of the extraordinary thresholds you must pass in order to succeed in protecting your ideas, if indeed they constitute novelty and are not rejected for being obvious to an educated person.

Until October of 2009, I did not know whether my dream of getting a patent would actually come true, and that was after spending the above mentioned amount of money. If you have no patent protection it will be practically impossible to get investors interested in your concept, since it would be easily duplicated, but others with more significant funding sources.

Efficiency in vehicles is a combination of drive train improvements, engine improvements, as well as improvements outside of the engine-power train portion of the vehicle which reduce the power necessary to maintain speed. The overall vehicle most be capable of movement with least energy expense while satisfying the requirements of the customer for the modern conveniences they demand.

Good luck on your pursuit. I truly wish you success. You will find that most people with the necessary funding to be very skeptical of any claims made without complete unbiased documentation of your claims.

Do I believe it is possible to build a car that gets 180 MPG?

Absolutely.

The problem with any conventional engine power train combination, is that while aero improvements will increase your mileage, the real issue is to completely eliminate all inefficient operation of the engine as well as utilizing exhaust heat for supplemental power generation to run accessories. Also you need extremely highly efficient recovery of necessary deceleration forces.

Once you have these requirements, then your aero improvements will definitely make a huge difference in overall efficiency since the power conversion system will be self compensating, but that same system must have enough power capability to climb Pike's Peak, as the ultimate test of its practicality.

regards
Mech