View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
sallen
EcoModding Lurker

VW GOLF - '96 Volkwagen Golf MK3 GL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 50.21 mpg (US)

Commute scoot - '95 Suzuki AE50 Style
Last 3: 70.4 mpg (US)

The German - '99 Mercedes W202 C200 Classic
90 day: 27.65 mpg (US)
@AlanaPeace thanks for letting me know, I have amended the sheet to read US, It was just a typo so the formulae should be fine.

I'm not sure you are using the sheet right. The idea is that you change the figures on line 14 to reflect your personal cost of gas/yearly milage etc. Then you put in the gain you expect from a future modification and how much $ it will cost. The sheet will then calculate how long it will take to recoup that $ in fuel saved.

@Swede, you are right... I have a fuel filter in my glovebox and I'm waiting for a splutter any time now!

@Automd you are right about the car it has got to be one of the worst Golf variants ever produced. The performance is dismal - it is by far the slowest car on the road around my area, 0-60mph is something stupid like nearly 20 seconds and the gearing is short so it is revving it's nuts off at 75mph. Hopefully when it dies I will upgrade to more modern technology, it makes a good runabout in the meantime though.

On the Bio D front it appears that my sticky brake (using Dino) has negated any bio MPG loss. I will let you all know if I switch back to Dino and see an MPG gain.

Steve

Will you recoup money spent on mods in fuel saved? see my spreadsheets here