View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Bicycle Bob
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Clean Sheet of Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
But the EV1 had 21ft² of frontal area! No, I want the VW L1, Daihatsu UFE-III, or some sort of four-wheeled, tandem Aptera with a 5HP gas engine and a 30HP electric motor for acceleration, and a battery just large enough for a hill climb. I want all this, plus side airbags and intelligent seat belts.
After decades of cogitation, I think the way to get maximum economy with acceptable safety is to start with a full-body "helmet" in a streamlined shape. Add the heavy hardware at the front, where it will help stability in crosswinds. Use two front wheels for safe braking and better crash protection.

It isn't hard to wind up with a highway-ready vehicle that weighs less than the driver, when you start with a velomobile in mind. It can have a mononcoque body made of crash-helmet materials to give amazing crash safety, but it can still be run over by trucks or bounced off even a Metro, and of course those are the accidents that would make the news. For those willing to drive as if they were as invisible as wise old cyclists, I think insurance rates would be low, in a free market.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-06-2010), RobertSmalls (02-20-2010)