View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #103 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverinsight2 View Post
'zat a camera Robert?
Yep! It's way more aerodynamic and lightweight than a mirror, and it completely eliminates the passenger side blind spot that the OE mirror had.

Here's a picture of it in its temporary housing (which no longer tapes the door shut), as seen by the wind:

I should re-do that in fiberglass or something and paint it semi-gloss black. Problem is, I don't know how to do fiberglass.

I chose the Pyle 3.5" camera and monitor, $75ish on Amazon, # PLCM35. I placed the monitor on the dash, below the rear view mirror, and it's easy to see without being distracting.

It works, but I'm not impressed. Based on what I've seen, my driver's side mirror will have to stay in place, but the passenger mirror is not going back on.

The biggest problem is that it takes too long for me to identify objects in the monitor. A glance in a mirror tells me what's there, but I have to study the monitor for a long fraction of a second, which is not tenable in urban traffic. I suspect this is due to the monitor's low resolution, and low brightness. I will attempt to improve the brightness by adding a coroplast coronet.

The aerodynamic benefit is large, and I really wish I could vigorously recommend a mirror replacement camera, but I'm not ready to do that yet. Maybe once I shroud the monitor, and take a week to get used to the new system, I'll love it. Maybe I'll have to add a small, interior mirror for use at twilight. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HighTechCameraMount.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	5652   Click image for larger version

Name:	cameraAsSeenByWind.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	5653