View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 12:37 AM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Utility trailer hack (building an aero enclosure for a 1100 mile highway trip)

This is a project thread. I'm preparing for an 1,100 mile trip in a couple weeks. I will be towing my utility trailer loaded with some biggish stuff. I have enough prep time and scrap material to hack together a shoestring shell with some aero features. Here is the plan so far.

The trailer has a 5x10' deck. I'm widening it to 6' to swallow half of each fender. Those nose is a 3' semicircle. The final departure is 20 deg. The top will be 6' high and flat. The bottom 2' of the sides truncate half or 18" of the nose. That works out to a 30 deg approach 3.5' behind the truck so pretty much shadowed by the tailgate. The upper 4' extends 1.5' closer so it's only 2' behind the tailgate. The curved nose starts a little below the tailgate and ends well above cab height. So that will part the flow coming around the cab and across the tonneau cover.

I considered several variations. This design has some elements that I am keen to field test. Hopefully flow will stay fairly attached.

Opinions?

Cheers
KB

Last edited by KamperBob; 03-03-2010 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: image moved