View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
4. Crappy road conditions
(snow, wet and slush adds significant rolling resistance)
Winter road conditions are crappy for one more reason: potholes! They start showing up around mid-winter and multiply exponentially until spring. They are responsible for sudden braking, swerving and/or tire/rim damage. Now that sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
12. Added weight
Owners of RWD vehicles often place significant extra weight (eg. bags of sand or salt) in the back of the vehicle for traction in snow. Also, how about not cleaning heavy ice and snow off? We just had an ice storm that put a thick, heavy coating on everything.
After each trip in the snow I get a big ball of slush behind each wheel (mini boattails, anyone?). A few weeks ago I heard in the local news about how the rail operators deal with winter: before each trip each carriage has to be de-iced. There can be over 1 ton of ice stuck to the underside of each railway car. I can only wonder how much snow/ice gets deposited in places I don't see.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread