View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Winter road conditions are crappy for one more reason: potholes! They start showing up around mid-winter and multiply exponentially until spring. They are responsible for sudden braking, swerving and/or tire/rim damage. Now that sucks.
Around here potholes are a year round thing. Some circulating emails say you know you're from Michigan if some roads are better in the winter because the potholes are full of snow. It's true.

- If you ever get stuck, you've blown the FE for that tank. Won't happen in the summer.

- Some towns (at least around here) have very confusing rules about city winter parking, something like if you're an odd numbered address you can only park on odd days of the week, next week you have to switch, so you have to start and move your car all the time, reducing overall FE.

- School buses. You have to stop for them all winter long, but never in the summer (at least here there's no school in the summer). If I don't leave extremely early for work, I'll be stuck behind 3 buses in a row and it will take me 15-20 minutes to go 4 miles.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver