View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #3005 (permalink)
sawickm
ReVolt Enthusiast

AVR-CANbus

Hi All,

It would be greatly appreciated if the ReVolt Wiki could be updated as the open source Controller, BMS, Charger project files become available. Thanks !!!

I ran across this website Development and Prototype boards and tools for PIC AVR and MSP430 for an AVR-CANbus controller. They have a lot of nice AVR header and development controller PCB’s. The AVR-CAN development PCB uses a Microchip MCP2551 CANbus controller and a handful of discrete parts.

The CANbus interface to the AVR looks simple enough http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/AVR-CAN-sch.gif, I don’t know how complicated the changes to the Cougar firmware would be? But since Paul is using the CANbus on his new BMS and Charger it would be nice to have a version of the Non-Synchronous Cougar Controller that had a CANbus interface too.

A question that I have to the forum is: would the firmware for the Cougar Controller be compatible with, or could it be ported over to a larger AVR controller (AT90CAN128)? More memory, more I/O, etc….. I also like the idea of using a Daughter Microcontroller PCB. Having a standard ReVolt control board you could swap or upgrade the Daughter Microcontroller PCB with different Micro’s AVR, PIC, etc… of course it would need the different firmware too.

Comments ???

-Mark

Last edited by sawickm; 02-23-2010 at 09:03 AM..