View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
round.boater
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
That's a very tall order, and part of me wonders if it's really necessary. I'm pretty sure it would not be possible with aerodynamic improvements alone.

It might be possible with a small donor truck, a large budget, ride height reduction, an aerodynamic rebody, and an open mind about acceleration and the appearance of the finished product. I'm picturing a chopped and teardropped Ranger with a low, feet-forwards seating position and an imported 2.0L Ford diesel.

However, the more reasonable thing to do would be own a 20mpg truck for towing your bulldozer, and a Prius for commuting, sleeping in, and towing 1000lbs.
How about a Prius, which already gets 50mpg, slightly basjoos'd, with an adjustable rear suspension, tougher frame / hitch, and just enough power for the load? It doesn't seem that far off. In the mean time I'll do what I can with my truck. I finally found a coroplast supply here in Denver so I can start working on the underside in addition to the top. With the Aerolid already on, I'm not sure there is much to be gained north of the wheel wells...