View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
G2TDI
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It's a common misconception that aerodynamics are only an issue at highway speeds.

Enter your vehicle's stats into this tool...

Aerodynamic & rolling resistance, power & MPG calculator - EcoModder.com

... and you'll see that air drag consumes about half of the power (fuel) needed to drive your car at speeds as low as around 35 mph.
The link you show asks for a number of values I have no clue on, on the vehicle I would do this on (stock), not to mention would have a hard time figuring out the values after modified. Lighter, lowered etc etc.

Also that example itself speaks for itself, remove 200lbs for instance from the example and see how your 35mph values change. The % is not the whole picture. If you have a 50% sale, a $2 item ends up being $1 with $1 saving whereas a $200 would be a $100 saving. So % sometimes is misleading. Also the WEIGHT is not a directly listed number in that link, it is indirectly hidden in other value(s).

The 1800lbs is rather light to begin with (the range I'd want to try for actually) so the % you see there is off of a very low number (l/100km) so even though the % might be HIGH the end value isn't that high.

Also let's be realistic here, how much reduction can you realistically change on the aero? How much can you do to the weight? I believe I can remove a good chunk of the weight, whereas even with the most serious attempts won't affect the drag factor much. Also many of the aero mods actually add weight. No I am not wanting to debate this I want to see where my balance should be in MY case with THIS type of vehicle.

Last edited by G2TDI; 02-23-2010 at 04:57 PM..