View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
TheEnemy
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
In response to ALS question about the limiting design parameters I came up with the following which would make it a realistic production car:

Target price equal to current mid range sedans. $17000 to $25000

4 passanger
Use as many stock parts as possible - steering, suspension, interior, wheels, exhaust, emmision, electronics, cluster - would be mostly components from current production cars

Unibody made from standard materials and standard manufacturing processes - welded sheetmetal and plastic components.

Power plant: currently avilable technology

Target range :500 - 600 miles

Target FE: 60+ at 65 mph
I wouldn't put it past someone to be able to manage that by building it themselves. But to have something like that to be produced by an automobile company with labor overhead, bloated management, liability for any failure or defect, mandatory crash worthiness testting. There is just too much overhead for them to be able to get both the mileage and the price point.

As far as seats, they do make good aftermarket seats that are often more comfortable, safer, and lighter than the orriginals. Most places can even build the brackets for you. The seats I put in my Jeep are similar to the SS style, they are about 5lbs lighter each, and I am good for about 3 hours of off roading before I start getting stiff. The only draw back is the cost.

An example
Aftermarket Corbeau Replacement Bucket Seats for Cars, Jeeps, Trucks, Vans, Street Racing and OffRoad