View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #47 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I think its a combination of events.

Partially floor mats.

Partially accelerator design.

The pedal manufacturer makes a lot of pedals for other companies that do no have this issue, and Toyota has pressured suppliers to reduce costs dramatically, since they are-were the big dog in the industry.

Mostly the fail safe mode of the ecu that does not recognize the combination of signals an disable the throttle control input signal. I think this is what the demonstration illustrates. Pure speculation, but as systems become so much more complex the potential chain reaction failures that are not properly anticipated become exponential in their possibilities.

Personally I think this is just the tip of the iceberg as these complex computer critical systems suffer the effects of age and salt, water, corrosion, etc.

I have seen a leaky windshield fill an engine and exhaust system with fuel, when the car was sitting overnight without the key in the ignition. Shorted the grounds out in the ECU and the fuel pump and injectors came on with the injectors wide open, with the ignition in the off (column locked) position. A replaced ECU did the exact same thing 3 months later, before we found out the customer had the windshield replaced a month before the original failure. Engine completely filled with fuel and two gallons in the exhaust system.

Remember the B2 crash (2 billion dollars gone).

regards
Mech