View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 AM   #35 (permalink)
5speed5
EcoModding Apprentice

TBSS - '08 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS 2WD
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '09 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 22.96 mpg (US)

Big Blue Hippo - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT222 View Post
I guess the Metro is also a bare-needs car. But the GM you all hate is the Wagoner-controlled GM. Wagoner believed the SUV was the real money-maker. I am going to admit, I love GM. New GM, after they started over, is listening, and observing the competition. They have recently premiered some excellent vehicles. They are focusing less and less on the truck and SUVs. Their most successful large vehicle they have currently is the Equinox, which achieves 32MPG, which is best in class. Meager by Ecomodder's standards, but its a step in the right direction. The Cruze is rumored to get around 40MPG, and the Spark and new Aveo are going to get at or over 40MPG. The new GM is trying, and doing much better than the old GM.
Agree with the last part, but truthfully, even under Rick Wagoner, GM had
best-in-class fuel economy with the Malibu/Aura/G6 (2.4L 6-spd auto),
the Cobalt/G5 XFE, the full-sized trucks/SUVs (not even counting hybrids),
and 4x4 midsize trucks (Colorado/Canyon). They also had the first available hybrid full-sized trucks/SUVs, and Wagoner's the one that gave the go-ahead for the Volt and Cruze back in 2007.

GM made a lot of dumb moves in it's time, but the countless news stories back during the bankruptcy opining something along the lines of "GM makes only gas hogs with poor quality" were dead wrong....and that's despite having to pay exorbitant UAW wages and benefits that the Japanese makers didn't have to.

Toyota is now in the #1 spot and they're having a great time there too.