View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
John -

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiheal View Post
Hi everyone. I am a new member. I am aeromodding my '87 Celica, 375K miles. So far, I have

1. smaller sideview mirrors (these are legally required-- I am using bicycle handlebar-plug type).
2. closed-off front high air intake
3. turbulator strips in front of my windshield wipers
4. Full vortex generators at the rear of the roof and sides of rear fenders-- I will not be crafting a Le Mans tail
5. 40 psi tires (down from 47 as I had developed a high spot in the passenger rear.

The Celica on its last tank got 28.5 mpg. I have achieved 39 mpg on a highway trip.

I have read many posts on the rear wheel covers that ecomodders have made, and considered how to do this. My question is-- has anyone tried magnetic covers? They would be easy to remove, and there are such coverings for signs that stay attached at highway speeds. I looked online yesterday and found that a 10 foot by 24 inch, .030 gage red would run about 50 bucks. Worth a try?

John
BTW I am an environmental science teacher and my students are into this idea!
blackjackel used magnets to hold the framework of rear wheel skirts. They held for awhile, but eventually came off.

If I were trying to go with magnets, I would try to make it so that the wind wouldn't have a chance of getting in and pulling off the skirt. I think this is what orange4boy is talking about.

Do you know how it's hard to pull magnets apart, but it's easy to slide them apart? Because of that, I would look to do something like this :

The leading lip would protect the skirt from the wind getting in.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
motiheal (03-01-2010)