View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
captainslug
Misanthropologist

BORK! - '89 Volvo 240 DL Wagon
90 day: 21.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The Goal:
Build an electric motorcycle that can reach 60-65mph for under $1,500.
I'm doubtful that you can obtain a usable battery pack ALONE for that price that will be able to allow you to reach 60mph.
I was aiming for a $1,000 price point for a 35mph bike and it's now looking to end up costing $1,800 total. And I went with SLAs, and a much lower performance goal.
You'll be surprised just how many small extra parts you will need in order to get the bike running. From thrust bearings, to sprockets, to nuts and bolts.
You will also need a DC-DC converter and a bunch or extra wiring.
Quote:
So far I have a $100 motorcycle that had a small fire so the wiring is burnt, exhaust is rusted out and has sat without running for 5+ years
Inside or outside?
It better have alloy rims and disc brakes. If not then the wheels are going to have to be replaced because they'll be rusted beyond repair.
Quote:
I got a phone call today for a Foxx Power 48v 20amp hour 3c lithium battery with two chargers, I'm told that this battery can handle 60 amp discharge and can handle 100 amps for 15 seconds, anyone with an electric motorcycle already want to tell me if this is high enough discharge rate? the battery is a year old, has two years left on the warranty and would cost me $300 with the two chargers as the friend who has it needs money.
That pack is a good price, but it's still WAY too small. I will be blunt and point out that was the size of the battery pack that was in the 800w electric scooter I used to have. It only offered 20mph and 20 miles of range.

You will need a 3kwh or larger pack in order to reach 60mph for more than a mile or two. The further beyond 40mph you go the significantly larger your pack will need to be.
My pack is 60 volts 20AH and at 38mph I'm only likely to get 15 miles of range. 60 amps is one third of what an average golf cart motor is likely to draw under acceleration.
My 2kw peak motor setup was reaching a peak of 80 amps under acceleration.

I would suggest doing a lot of reading at the endless-sphere forums as to what others were able to achieve with what motors and what pack sizes.
Endless-sphere.com • Index page
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captainslug For This Useful Post:
govman6159 (10-16-2012), Ryland (06-24-2013)