View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
kubark42
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I know that the topic of building specific fuel consumption maps has been brought up before in the context of the MPGuino, but this is the first (that I've seen) of it being done.
The math behind performing all the observability tests is widely understood. It's not complicated once you know what you're getting into, but if you're looking at it for the first time it can be overwhelming. The observer is key to getting good results. Without that, your data will be so noisy as to be totally inconclusive.

Quote:
And verified against a dynamometer ... I'm envious of the tools you have available!
Even better, I got to verify against a dynamometer at the Grand Prix racetrack at Spa-Francorchamps. And they said I can come back and put the roadster on the race track once spring comes. "For scientific purposes".

To tell the truth, the dynamometer was kind of scary. It took a long time (around 1 hour) to get a very dense data grid. Since this was my personal car, if something blows up it's not my research budget that pays! But it was a lot of fun, and we'll definitely be going back with some other cars where I've installed the logging unit.

Quote:
(Trust me: with the number of spammers who register here daily simply to hi-jack the site's popularity by posting useless links, the restriction is needed, if annoying to legit new members. Feel free to post & delete 5 total messages to bypass the filter if you want to post more URL's.)

Darin
Oh, I believe it! Thanks a lot for fixing it for me. And I'm guessing that I'll get to 5 pretty quickly, anyway.