View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
kubark42
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
it is a Nuvi 200, the only port is 1 USB.
Ah, that won't do it then. My design eliminates the crystal, but depends on the GPS's PPS to keep the RC oscillator in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
Does my Matrix have a CAN bus and if so would that save some work?
According to Does an '06 Toyota Rav4 have an accessible CAN-bus? - MP3Car.com it does not. Moreover, it would actually take more time, believe it or not, because the CANbus protocol would have to be reverse engineered. I've already done it for the Smart Roadster, and it's a PITA. Someone else has already done it for the 2006 Prius, so I could base things off that information. But for another car...? There's no way of telling what we'd find in there.

You see, there's no standard for what information a manufacturer puts on its CANbus, and there's no (legal) requirement for them to divulge this information, so it's sort of the wild west in there. That might explain why it's said that there are more lines of code in your navigation system than there are in the whole Airbus A380.

Anyway, the CANbus reader is something you would have to buy for around $75. It's not something that I have here in my lab, so if you're on a student budget the original approach is cheaper.