View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
jimepting

I live very near Williamsburg Country Club (mapquest it) off of Route 143 which runs from Williamsburg to Newport News Va.

Route 143 is between I64 and the railroad tracks. The stretch near my house runs 5 miles between traffic lights. Speed limit is 55 MPH. The railraod tracks clearly show any grade changes. There is another stretch that runs close to 3 miles after the single traffic light at Lee Hall. Speed limit on this stretch is 45 MPH.

Not sure about the speeds you want to drive, but I can show you stretches of road in my area where there are elevations changes of less than 5 feet in a mile of road, but those are near the water and speed limit is 35 MPH.

Another option is route 5 running on the north side of the James River from the beltway around Richmond to Williamsburg. Not super flat, but there are some stretches that are pretty level, but it's 2 lanes, while the other ones are 4 lanes.

Route 58 east of Emporia also has some pretty flat sections, divided 4 lane with 55 MPH limit, but watch your speed around Emporia, they love to write tickets, well known speed trap.

I also own an Insight, but it's a CVT. My local run has been 70 MPG the last two days with better weather.

I have driven eastern VA roads for 43 years, so I can probably help you find what you are looking for.

regards
Mech