View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
hackish
Calibration Engineer

Subie - '00 Subaru Impreza STi JDM
90 day: 22.49 mpg (US)
I'm definitely not against the economy of shutting down a delivery car. I just don't feel that shutting down your engine for a 5-10 second coast is a good idea. If I manage to buy a 5 gas analyzer this year I might actually be able to test the emissions on a few vehicles to know how bad this really is at the tailpipe.

It is kinda expensive for a science experiment. I have been looking at reflashing a few of the late model cars for better fuel economy. I know we're very successful with diesels. If I could find some successful tweaks for gas powered cars it may afford buying such a toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
If you're running a delivery service, I think you'll save more than $300 a year by shutting of the engine during each delivery instead of idling. Plus, fewer hours spent idling is better for the engine. Also, the fuel savings is guaranteed, whereas having to replace the starter is unlikely.

Lots of automakers are introducing start/stop technology on their newest engines. I'm not aware of any modifications that need to be made to the engine to accomodate this, so I believe the only components you're placing extra (but acceptable, IMO) stress on are the battery and starter.